Friday, August 26, 2011

Free Cards Friday | The Northwest Mother's Milk Bank and the Expanded Visions Collection | Raising Awareness | Giving

Remember when I was trying to decide which local mother & child organization to donate a portion of sales from The Expanded Visions Collection to?


I've decided to contribute to the Northwest Mothers Milk Bank (I’ve actually had them in mind all along).


The Northwest Mothers Milk Bank's mission is: To collect, pasteurize and distribute donor human milk to meet medical needs.


I am honored to have $130 for them so far. If you'd like to purchase one of the paintings in this collection (and further support NWMMB) Come Check Out The Available Paintings!


The Northwest Mothers Milk Bank is saving the lives of babies and changing the lives of families. I am honored to have $130 for them, so far.



Why do we need a milk bank in the Northwest?
Currently, US milk banks cannot meet the need for donor milk. The closest milk banks are in San Jose, California and Denver, Colorado. This can mean increased transportation costs and time and occasionally limited availability when providing donor milk to our area. Oregon and Washington have two of the highest breastfeeding rates in the United States with the potential to have sufficient breast milk donors to serve infants throughout the Northwest region and other parts of the US. A committed group of volunteers is developing a human milk bank to serve the Northwest.




What is a Milk Bank? (from the NWMMB website)

A milk bank screens, collects, processes and dispenses donated human milk as a community service, providing human milk to babies whose own mothers cannot supply the milk to meet their baby’s needs.


A milk bank is also a resource for health professionals and the general public in the uses and benefits of human milk, the standard in infant feeding.



The Northwest Mothers Milk Bank has been designated a "Developing Milk Bank" by the Human Milk Banking Association of North America. HMBANA members meet strict standards for screening of donors and processing of milk.


There are currently eleven milk banks serving North America. Milk Bank locations.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



There are currently 7 Original Paintings Remaining in
The Expanded Visions Collection.



SEE THE AVAILABLE PAINTINGS In the Online Shop
(paintings from The Expanded Visions Collection are labeled inside the details of the item).



Here are a few:



Escaping Ordinary, 10x10 ~ $130


Inspiring Passion, 8x10 ~ $120

Meditation, 8x10 ~ $120


Let me know if you have any questions,
Have a great day!
Sincerely, Katie


It's Free Cards Friday ~ Add your note or insight to this blog post (here at the blog or on the Facebook page) throughout the weekend and be in the running to win some cards ~ I'll choose the winner on Monday. Come back on Tuesday to see if the winner is YOU!

2 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! I have had an interesting journey When she was 6 months old we found out that she has extreme allergies to peanuts, eggs and dairy along with many other foods. I had a deep freezer with 6 months of milk stashed for her that I could no longer use. I don't know what I was more emotional about...her allergies or all that milk I couldn't use. I never would have thought about donating it if it hadn't been for a forum I am on and hearing moms talk about it. I was able to donate over 150 bags of milk to 4 babies (3 in WI and one in New York). It was such a blessing to help other babies especially during a time I felt like I couldn't even help my own baby. 18 months later we are still nursing strong and she is doing amazing and I have a friendship with 3 new mamas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome, thank you for sharing your story Abby, and good for you!
    Love & Sincerely, Katie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!
Sincerely,
Katie m. Berggren
http://www.kmberggren.com