Friday, July 1, 2011

Win A Book! | Free Cards Friday | Mitten Strings For God: Reflections for Mothers In A Hurry

Recently, I was reading Pam Leo's Connection Parenting book ~ which is amazing ~ and more than once Pam referred to (and recommended) Mitten Strings for God, by Katrina Kenison. I checked it out and from the moment I opened the cover, I was literally struck by the fact that this woman could be me ~ it literally felt like looking into my future at writings that I would someday put down on paper. This woman thinks JUST like me, I thought ~ and she writes in a beautiful, emotional and flowy way that I aspire to.


I have never felt such a connection to an author through their published words.






“When I stop speeding through life I find the joy in each day’s doings, in a life that cannot be bought, but only discovered, created, cherished, and lived. . . .I wrote this book because I needed it myself — and because I suspect that I’m not alone, that other mothers, too, yearn to offer their children an alternative to our culture’s noise, pressures, and materialism.”
— from Mitten Strings for God, by Katrina Kenison






Every time I have had a chance (I still am holding onto this book despite the fact that it is overdue at the library, oops) to read a few pages, I am so relieved with the way I am raising my boys. Quietly (well much of the time), comfortably, focused on health, home and togetherness (and errands, too, of course).




I emailed Katrina to let her know how I felt about her sweet book and she responded and offered to send 2 free, signed copies of Mitten Strings for God to my readers. How generous! Let's do one now, and one later.








From Katrina's website, about this book (and she has several other books, as well):




In the tradition of Gift from the Sea and Women Who Do Too Much, this lyrical, heartfelt series of reflections has become a beloved mothering classic since it was first published in 2000. Featured on “Oprah,” translated into six languages, and with well over 200,000 copies sold, Mitten Strings for God is a trusted guide for all mothers with young children. Inspired by Katrina Kenison’s own search for a more satisfying balance in her life, this simple, intimate book reminds us what is possible when we slow down and become fully present in our lives. Suddenly there is room for joy and play and intimacy, space for wonder and reverie, time to awaken to the beauty of the world and rediscover the sacred in the ordinary. Coming home to ourselves, we are able to offer our children the one thing they need most of all: our own quiet presence.






So,
post your comment here ~ add your note or insight to this blog post (here at the blog or on the Facebook page) throughout the weekend and be in the running to win Mitten Strings for God, by Katrina Kenison and some cards ~ I'll choose the winner next Friday!



Tell me your favorite book about motherhood/parenting, tell me if you've read this book, or just say "hi" ~ just get entered.



Love & Sincerely, Katie

4 comments:

  1. I have not read this book, but it sounds very intriguing and I would like to read it. If I don't win, will you please return it to the library so I can check it out?! :o)

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued. I definitely feel like I'm careening through life. I'm a stay at home mom and yet I never feel like I have enough time in the day. I spend all day with my kids and at bed time still feel like I somehow didn't spend enough TIME with them. If I don't win the drawing I'll be making a trip to my library to find this book too! Thanks for introducing it! :)
    Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read this book but it sounds like something I should check out. One of the most useful parenting books I have is Unconditional Parenting by Alfie Kohn. I also like Ross Greene's collaborative approach to problem solving with kids, although I haven't read his book. Thanks for this giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this book, but did read The Gift of an Ordinary Day. It was such an inspiration and helped me see that I was not the only one experiencing these things, as my children were around the same ages as Katrina's. I'm sure Mitten Strings for God would also be very inspirational and would LOVE to read it. Thanks for considering me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!
Sincerely,
Katie m. Berggren
http://www.kmberggren.com