Sunday, January 10, 2010

Hello Mama! Painting Progress ~ Mary Cassatt: one of my very favorites

Good evening, it's about time to call it quits for the night, but I wanted to share this ~ I just achieved the (underpainting of) the mother's face in my new painting, it's simple and makes me feel very happy.


When this face popped up on the canvas, I instantly said "hello Mama!" I guess that's a good sign since she and I have been spending a fair amount of time together lately :)


My plan is to get some video footage of her process, but learning the new Flip video camera (which I did in like 2 minutes tonite), working out the tripod situation and finding time to work without interruption have been pieces that have not come together yet in the same time and space.


You can see more of this painting by scrolling down to a previous blog post.



This weekend, I couldn't help but feel like a subject in a Mary Cassatt painting ~ my little boys and I spent hours sewing and I'm ridiculously tickled and proud of the creations we made - little stuffed toys that they seem to adore. It was miraculously fun!


Young Mother Sewing, 1900
© Mary Cassatt (American, 1844–1926)
Oil on canvas
36 3/8 x 29 in.



This is one of my favorite Cassatt paintings - she's a dream.


I like to think I could paint like her someday - she never had children and always regretted not experiencing her own chance at motherhood, bless her, she probably would have been a great mother.



Have a great evening and week!


Love & Sincerely, Katie

2 comments:

  1. just found your site while looking for info on Mary Cassatt for my homeschooled children. I love you work! I have two little ones and I totally resonate with the tender mothering moments you have captured here! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sarah! I appreciate you taking the time to write :)
    Sincerely, Katie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment!
Sincerely,
Katie m. Berggren
http://www.kmberggren.com